Tuesday, August 16, 2022

FIRE is going mainstream

You know FIRE is going mainstream when it appeared on the national news:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commentary/fire-financial-independence-retire-early-work-jobs-invest-2881331

Here's a summary of what FIRE is about in one paragraph:

Adherents of FIRE aim to save 70 per cent or more of their full-time income. The holy grail is to save 25 times of one’s annual expenses and make 4 per cent annual withdrawals for living expenditures.

The author tried to show both the pros and cons of FIRE:

When FIRE becomes the prism through which one views the world, decisions are rational only when they make financial sense. However, things that don’t make financial sense are enriching in many other ways.

And he gave some examples below this paragraph, such as planning an extravagant wedding to celebrate with friends, splurging on pumpkin-spiced latter while catching up with old friends, etc.  

The above does not really make sense if you think about it. If the intention is to celebrate with friends, you do not have to splurge on an extravagant wedding. Also, if you want to catch up with old friends, you can do so at the neighborhood kopitiam. 

Coincidentally there is another article about FI in the news. I think this gentleman summed it up best what's good about FI:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/inflation-what-inflation-asks-carsexpo-visitor-after-seeing-long-lines-car-show-travel

Asked whether inflation has affected him, Francis, 65, told Stomp: "I retired at 59 when I achieved financial independence because I married early to bring up my kids who are now independent. I started financial planning after national service, taking advantage of my long runway. I worked hard and saved. 
"Now I am enjoying the fruits of my labour and enjoying life with no worries. I don’t bother about inflation."


No comments:

Post a Comment