Thursday, June 29, 2023

Wrapping up my First Month of FIRE: Had Fun, Did tons of Admin, and Uncovered Some Health Issues

So after I achieved FI, I decided to start a sabbatical in June. 

As of now, it is the end of my first month of 'FIRE' (to be clear, while I have 0 income now, I do not consider myself retired as I keep my options flexible to return to the workforce).

So what did I do? I certainly did not have a single minute of time to feel bored. The stuff I did can be broken down into 1. Fun, 2. Admin, 3. Health

Fun

I had lots of fun! 

I went to Legoland, where my kids had lots of fun.

I went Glamping, for the first time. This is where I also rode an ATV for the first time!

Glamping

I went swimming, which I did not have the time to do in a long while.

Swimming, FIRE


I also did volunteer work at the Mandai Bird Paradise! Beautiful!



I have a bucket list of places to visit, hopefully by the end of my sabbatical I can get to visit a large portion of them:


Admin

I did lots of backlogged admin, including writing my Will, registering Malaysia VEP for the car, fetching my kid from school, renewing my kid's passport, etc. Sure, I could also manage to complete all these admin tasks while I was working, but this time I felt I had the time to manage these things without the feeling of being overwhelmed which is better for mental health. 

Health

For health, I definitely walked more once I left my corporate job. I also dedicated myself to exercise 2 days a week instead of the previous 1 day during my corporate job days. 



However, I also did a health screening/ultrasound which uncovered some issues. I will skip the specifics, but long story short I need to watch my cholesterol intake. Such an irony is it not? I FIRE'ed in the hope I can now take time and effort to find good food to eat, only to learn I cannot. What does this mean really? Hmm...should I have aimed to FIRE even earlier?

Expenses

I busted most of my expenses this month. Hardly surprising I guess, since you got to spend to have fun...

Eating Out Target: $650
Eating Out Actual: $803.49

Household Target: $600
Household Actual: $390.38

Travel Target: $100
Travel Actual: $81.80

Entertainment Target: $50
Entertainment Actual: $64.85

Personal Target: $100
Personal Actual: $795.25 (I bought a foldable bike so that I can exercise more...good investment no?)

Hopefully in the next few months I can rein in a bit and stick to my budget.



No comments:

Post a Comment