Sunday, October 23, 2016

Financial Independence with Mad Fientist

A while back I came across this really cool post:

http://www.madfientist.com/financial-independence-spreadsheet/

This post provides a spreadsheet to calculate how many years you need to work until you achieve financial independence (FI).

I took his spreadsheet, adapted it a bit to the Singapore context, and it shows me I need 4.12 more years till FI! This assumes an inflation-adjusted growth rate of 4% and a withdrawal rate of 3%.

One thing I'm not quite sure is that in the computation of the withdrawal rate, the spreadsheet assumes you can withdraw from your net worth. And your net worth calculation takes into account the price of your house - mortgage. Can we grow our housing at 4% p.a. in Singapore?

No comments:

Post a Comment