Friday, October 13, 2023

Portfolio Returns for Oct 2023

I have been sharing the returns of my portfolio in the previous posts:

http://financeopti.blogspot.com/2022/05/this-too-shall-pass.html

http://financeopti.blogspot.com/2022/07/this-too-shall-pass-part-2.html

http://financeopti.blogspot.com/2022/10/this-too-shall-pass-part-3.html

http://financeopti.blogspot.com/2022/11/portfolio-returns-for-nov-2022.html

I felt it would be good to track the returns on a regular basis since the returns will fluctuate from time to time depending on the stock market. 

During the time period from Jul - Oct 2023, most of my portfolios took a hit:

The USA portfolio looks like its moving upwards, but it is mostly because I sold off 2 of my most unprofitable stocks (digital payments) in the last month. 

Here's a recap of the major market events (positive events in green and negative events in red):

  • Sep 2023: It is now 18 months into the Ukraine war with no respite in sight. 
  • Sep 2023: US Fed signals one more interest rate hike at the end of the year, and high-interest rates will persist for some time
  • Sep 2023: Conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan. Thousands of refugees are fleeing into Armenia after Azerbaijan claimed control of an Armenian enclave inside its territory. 
  • Oct 2023: Conflict between Hama in the Gaza Strip and Israel broke out after Hamas launched a terrorist attack by sneaking into Israeli territory. Now Israel is preparing for a ground assault into the Gaza Strip. 
  • Oct 2023: US Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer met with Xi Jinping and noted 'serious engagement'. This is the first f2f meeting between high-level US-China leaders in a while. 

Is there any more good news? I can't think of much to be honest...

After writing these posts for some time now, I realize there are more bad events than good...

As I have insinuated a few times, as long as I do not need the money, the plan is to hold even if there is a WW3. Though of course, I wish that will never come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment