Sunday, August 27, 2023

Creating a Bond Ladder

Creating a Bond Ladder to generate Passive Income

I am creating a bond ladder.

The aim is to create a perpetual (as long as possible) revenue stream every month. 

Here's how it is going to work. 

I plan to buy 6 months time deposits or 6 months T-Bills, one at a time, once every month. 

At the end of 6 months, the first time-deposit/bond will mature, and I collect the interest. At the same time, I put the capital back into another 6 months time deposit/TBill. 

Conceptually it looks like this:

Bond ladder, time deposits, TBills

And it continues as long as the interest rates are above 3.5%.

I have already set up the first 3 tranches.

The first 2 tranches were set up using StashAway Simple Guaranteed, at the interest rate of 3.5% p.a.

Stashaway Simple Guaranteed, Time Deposits

The third tranche was set up using 6-month TBill, at the interest rate of 3.73% p.a.

So why did I use Stashaway Simple Guaranteed when TBills offer higher interest rates? No particular reason, but when I saw 3.5% in Stashway Simple Guaranteed, I thought it was good and I put money in - the process was easy and straightforward. Later I thought since TBills offer slightly higher interest rates, I should switch to TBills instead. 

So from now on, I will be able to earn $175-$184 every month, as long as interest rates stay above 3.5% p.a.

If you have spare cash, set up your own Bond Ladder today!

Any flaws with this method? Comment below. 




2 comments:

  1. Hi Finance Opti,

    Yes, it is good to create a T-bill ladder in the current elevated yield climate. The good thing about T-bills is that the interest is paid upfront.

    My wife and I have created a T-bill ladder too. In fact we are already into our 2nd cycle of T-bill investing, having recycled the funds from maturing T-bills into new ones. And we have used all manner of funds from cash, SRS to CPF OA.

    You can see my write up here.

    https://t.me/CPF_Tree/2854

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! Your interest income is truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete